Team coaching is an effective way of rapidly raising team performance. Team coaching re-energises teams by getting them to refocus and collectively build the skills and habits needed for success.
Team coaching works well in the following situations:
- New teams that are forming and want to accelerate their effectiveness
- Established teams that have, for whatever reason, stopped working as effectively as they could
- Long established teams that need to refocus and find new momentum for their work
- Top teams looking to push boundaries and become the roles models
There are many reasons team coaching is an effective tool. Here are a few of them:
- A team coach can open up the team to ensure genuine dialogue occurs around the topics that matter.
- Having a team coach creates a climate of psychological safety that enables trust to be built quicker.
- Team coaches are skilled at dealing with conflict and can pass on the tools and techniques to the team.
- Tried and tested methods for creating alignment, goal clarity and task prioritisation and can propel the team forward.
- Team coaches stretch members to go well beyond the tyranny of being average.
- Over time as the team learns and reflects together, they tend to demonstrate more focused, collective energy. As they learn together, they use real work issues to put the learning into practice, this helps them embed new skills. Over time, co-coaching becomes the team cultural norm.
Team coaching interventions
Team coaching can come in a variety of guises, depending on the needs of the team and organisation. Some of the things that can be included:
- 360 feedback to garner relevant feedback from inside, and more importantly, outside of the team.
- Team members psychometrics to understand behavioural style strengths and development areas (Social Style/DiSC/TetraMap/MBTI).
- Team culture surveys to better understand the style of the team and what may need to be adjusted for greater performance.
- Team performance surveys, to see in which facets of team performance, the team excel at and areas to improve.
- Visual team tools, templates for teams to self manage their performance during and after the coaching process.
- Team kick off sessions that create the context for the team: Vision, mission, value and effective ground rules.
Team coaching can be delivered face to face in and around London, or virtually using video meeting platforms if further afield.
Team Advantage is a globally proven team coaching program designed to transform teams and in parallel build leadership coaching capacity leaders. The program uses the principals of gamification to drive performance changes. The process is oriented around a stretch goal that is meaningful to the teams and organisation’s success. The coach coaches both the team and leader and this ensure sustainability.
The process is carried out over four phases, lasting 16 weeks:
Phase 1: Leader Coaching: Team leaders work with a coach to prepare for the team section. Leaders experience coaching and build their own coaching competency
Phase 2: Game Plan: The team develops a game plan over a one or two-day workshop under the guidance of the team coach.
Phase 3: Team Coaching: This transformation phase accelerates the process of changing mindsets and behaviours, and improves leadership skills.Â The coach works with the team in a series of sessions over four months (remote or live) that increases peer accountability needed for the team to execute their plan and experience sustainable change.
Phase 4: Celebration: The coach reminds the team leader and team of the importance of celebrating even small successes and recognition of the contributions of everyone on the team.
“The Team Advantage is for any leader with a team and a goal. It’s a proven process, with challenges and rewards, that will drive your team past typical corporate objectives to new levels of engagement and commitment. You can transform your team and your organisation with The Team Advantage.”
Ken Blanchard, Co-Author of The One Minute Manager and Leading at a Higher Level.
Team Advantage benefits
FOCUSES ON BUSINESS OUTCOMES – The programme is 100% orientated around a goal that impacts the business
BUILDS LEADERSHIP SKILLS – The coach creates sustainable leadership skills in the team leader
CREATES OWNERSHIP OF RESULTS – As the team co-create the goal and plan, accountability becomes a core of how the team works
PRODUCES SUSTAINABLE RESULTS – The skills and tool learnt on the programme can be re-used once it has been completed.
INCREASES COMMUNICATION – The trust building of the coach enableÂ greater levels of communication quality.
PROMOTES FUN – Celebrating success becomes an important facet of the way of working.
Research by the programme developers, Pyramid Resource Group, shows the following results:
- 30 Point increase in employee engagement in less than a year using Team Advantage
- 65 Percent reduction in overtime expenditures while using Team Advantage
- 10:1 Return on investment using Team Advantage to increase customer retention
Choose Team Advantage
Team Advantage works for organisations that are…
- Struggling to wade through change
- Needing to speed up their business
- Launching new products or services
- Building leadership bench strength
- Engaged in a merger or acquisition
- Looking to propel performance
Tab 2 content